On October 5, 2009, changes to the regulations governing radiographers, radiation therapists, nuclear medicine technologists and radiologist assistants went into effect. Changes included, but are not limited to:
- Radiologist Assistant scope of practice
- Radiologist Assistant requirements for licensure
- Fee increases (The fees have not been increased since 1991.)
- A requirement to notify the Board of a name or address change within 60 days or be fined $100.
- Updates in the scope of practice for radiographers who practice cardiac-interventional, vascular-interventional or cardiovascular interventional radiography.
Practicing as a Radiologist Assistant
- An individual must have a current license as a radiographer
licensed by the Maryland Board of Physicians
before the individual may apply for a license to practice radiology assistance.
- A radiologist assistant may only practice under the supervision of a radiologist licensed in Maryland.
- A licensed radiologist may not employ or supervise an individual practicing radiology assistance without a license.
- An individual may not
practice, attempt to practice, or offer to practice
radiology assistance in Maryland unless
the individual is licensed to practice
- Unless authorized to
practice, a person may not represent to the
public by title, by description of services,
methods or procedures that the person is authorized
- Any person who practices
without a license is subject to a civil
fine of not more than $5,000.
All applications for certifications
and reinstatements MUST
be mailed to P.O. Box 37217, Baltimore, MD 21297.
The Maryland Board of Physicians does
not accept checks in the office. Applications
hand delivered, mailed, or federal expressed to
the Board office will be mailed from the Board
to the lockbox (P.O. Box 37217) within 24-48 hours
and picked up by bank staff. After the check has
been deposited, the bank will mail your application
to the Board. Sending applications to the Board
instead of the appropriate post office box will
delay your application.