hot topics graphic


Regulatory Changes

On October 5, 2009, changes to the regulations governing radiographers, radiation therapists, nuclear medicine technologists and radiologist assistants went into effect. Changes included, but are not limited to:

  • Radiologist Assistant scope of practice
  • Radiologist Assistant requirements for licensure
  • Fee increases (The fees have not been increased since 1991.)
  • A requirement to notify the Board of a name or address change within 60 days or be fined $100.
  • Updates in the scope of practice for radiographers who practice cardiac-interventional, vascular-interventional or cardiovascular interventional radiography.


Licensure: Practicing as a Radiologist Assistant

  • An individual must have a current license as a radiographer licensed by the Maryland Board of Physicians before the individual may apply for a license to practice radiology assistance.
  • A radiologist assistant may only practice under the supervision of a radiologist licensed in Maryland.
  • A licensed radiologist may not employ or supervise an individual practicing radiology assistance without a license.
  • An individual may not practice, attempt to practice, or offer to practice radiology assistance in Maryland unless the individual is licensed to practice radiology assistance.
  • Unless authorized to practice, a person may not represent to the public by title, by description of services, methods or procedures that the person is authorized to practice.
  • Any person who practices without a license is subject to a civil fine of not more than $5,000.

All applications for certifications and reinstatements MUST be mailed to P.O. Box 37217, Baltimore, MD 21297. No exceptions.

The Maryland Board of Physicians does not accept checks in the office. Applications hand delivered, mailed, or federal expressed to the Board office will be mailed from the Board to the lockbox (P.O. Box 37217) within 24-48 hours and picked up by bank staff. After the check has been deposited, the bank will mail your application to the Board. Sending applications to the Board instead of the appropriate post office box will delay your application.